Sunday, September 25, 2011

My thoughts on picking a camera. First my constraints: Good point and shoot capability – My 75% use case is not “art” Rugged – Backpacking and hiking are not easy on a camera Always with me – Too big, too costly or too delicate to risk in bad weather hiking is not OK SLR like – Good & easy control over camera features Can produce an acceptable 11x17 print My current camera – Kodak Z1012 Good point and shoot Not very rugged – buttons stick, lens grinds Always with me – Yup it's been dropped on many national parks SLR like – Most of the functions I want Can produce a very good 8x10 print. 11x17 is not acceptable. My test of the Nikon P500 Point and shoot is poorer than my Z1012 Rugged – Looked solid, no field experience Always with me – On the high end of price and size $380 (US dollars) SLR like – Good set of features Photo quality was poorer than my Z1012. Poor color and a soft focus (could be corrected in post processing, but a lot of unnecessary work) My test of the Kodak Max Z990 Point and shoot features a good, easy to use, many more functions than the Nikon (or Z1012) Rugged – Looks solid, no field experience Always with me – $260 I can feel OK about it being ruined on a backpacking trip. Size/weight is my limit SLR like – Good set of features I'm still learning Photo quality – It looks to be better than my Z1012, but not dramatically better.

No comments:

Post a Comment