Thursday, February 13, 2020

Southern Tier - Cross Country Bike Ride - Taking the train - Southwestern Chief - to San Diego

After multiple years of talking about biking across the country for my 60th birthday, things have become real.  This week train tickets from Dearborn to San Diego were purchased!  A short train ride from Dearborn to Chicago and then we get on the Southwestern Chief from Chicago to Los Angeles and then a commuter down to San Diego - 56 hours end to end.

Full details on the train ride are here:  https://www.amtrak.com/southwest-chief-train

One of the nice things about the train is we get to take our bikes with ous.

My next step is to figure out exactly what gear I am taking and find panniers that can hold it and a bit more.

I will be riding a Specialized Sequoia and will try to keep my total weight as low as reasonably.


More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment