Sunday, April 10, 2011

Road Rash - Thankfully on my phone (or do I live in a 3rd world country?)

A lot planned for the day, give the dog a bath, complete my taxes, go for a bike ride and go to an Eagle Court of Honor. I blocked out Noon-2PM for a bike ride, figuring I could make the 3PM Eagle COH. The weather was great, Hines Park was busy and I was riding well. Coming home a took a rider going up a hill and hit it hard coming down, try to time a light I knew would turn green. As a got to the light another biker dogged a pot hole and I dogged the biker and took the hole. I flew a foot in the air, my water bottles went flying as I crossed the road. I got to the other side and was amazed that I was still on my bike and OK. I stopped and waited for the light so that I could pick up my water bottles and was ready to be on my way. When I got on my bike I discovered that my rear tire was flat (snake bite - where the tube is pinched by the rim). I did a quick patch and used my CO2 cartridge to blow it up, and I was on my way, 5 minutes lost... not bad. I got home and found my phone was missing (not in my jersey pocket). Now it's 2:15 and I have an Eagle COH at 3PM. Christopher and I drive back to where I got the flat and after 5 minutes find the phone. It's no longer much of a phone, bad case of road rash and it only beeps when powered on. I did make the Eagle COH, just 15minutes late. Now I have to decide how to get Michigan to maintain it's roads or take up a fat tire bike that can survive 3rd world roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment