Tuesday, November 16, 2021

San Diego to St. Augustine (Southern Tier bike ride) Completed ✅

 


My rear tire in the Pacific Ocean - Departing San Diego, California on September 19
My front tire in the Atlantic Ocean - St. Augustine Florida on  November 16

A few numbers:
  • 59 Days
  • 3052 Miles of riding 
  • 1 Country traversed
  • 8 States traversed - California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama & Florida 
  • Longest ride day - 114 miles
  • Average miles per day - 52 miles
  • Longest week - 525 miles 
  • Rims broken - 2
  • Flats fixed 16
  • Rest days 7 plus 1 day building a new wheel (NOT A REST DAY)
  • Camping nights - 8
  • Haircuts - 1
  • Riding days with rain - 2 (unbelievably lucky)
  • Coldest morning - 37f
  • Hottest day - 105f 
  • Number of acts of kindness received - far more than I can count 
  • Drivers who went out of their way to avoid me - countless thousands 
  • Drivers who went out of there way to intimidate or scare me - 2
  • Goals accomplished - 1
I am glad my goals are not easy and equally glad that I have a spectacular wife who supports them. I am still processing the trip and what it means.  Today I am tired and looking forward to being home with my wife.

I am blessed


A friend of Marie & Lee’s playing in St. Augustine 

BBQ Club Sandwich 
  • Celebrate 🎉 
Old Spanish Trail Zero marker - St. Augustine to San Diego 

My final mileage 
The bike path from today 

13 comments:

  1. Great job Bill. A little crazy but you have been plannng this for a log time. I enjoyed all of your posts. Thanks for that. Tom G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. -Bill who still has multiple crazy goals.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to make this dream happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again great job! I really enjoyed following along on your blog and especially enjoyed your recap by the numbers. Dang, sorry about all the flats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill, big congratulations!! From another rider still chipping away at the Southern Tier, you’ve been through and overcome so many challenges. And way more than your fair share of flats!! I enjoyed your list of “numbers”!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don, I am enjoying watching your journey. Stay safe! -Bill

      Delete
  5. Wow!! What an accomplishment. I enjoyed following your posts along the way. Glad you are coming home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! "Goals Accomplished - 1" = "Understatement of the year - 1"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dave, Thank you. The joy of big goals is they take work. -Bill

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You were really hauling! I was down in St Augustine in 2016. My wife and I arrived in San Diego 2 years later!!! We rested in the Detroit area for months, in between, peddling C# skills at work during the day. We drove a Pontiac, excitedly, between St Augustine and Michigan, before heading over to San Diego via Delta Airlines. The view was great.

    In comparison, your trip was waaay more interesting than a modified V8 and Boring 737. Congrats on your achievement, Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Bill on your accomplishment. wonderful and inspiring stats. looking forward for your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete